Tuesday 12 February 2008

The Andaman Experience

My mystery holiday was to Langkawi. I only know the destination of my holiday when we are queuing to check-in. However, I do not know what is the itinerary and plan installed for me during these 3 days 2 nights. Upon arrival at the airport, we rented a car and he only told where our hotel is when the car rental guy asked where we are staying. I have never been to Langkawi and also have not researched on anything on Langkawi before hence I did not know what Andaman was when he said that is where we will be staying. To me, it’s just another hotel and I even casually asked him if the hotel is nice or not....

Our hotel is located at Datai Bay which is quite a distance from the airport and the town. It is actually a secluded area in the rainforest. When I first saw the lobby of the hotel it was nice but it was not overly impressive. Then we went to the reception counter to check in. The receptionist asked us to have a sit at the lounge area at the lobby and they served us a welcome drink. When our personal guest relation officer came to brief us on our room and lead us to our room she mentioned that the room is RM1040. I assumed that it is RM1040 for 2 nights and quietly asked him why so expensive one RM500 over per night. When he told me that it is RM1040 per night I just stood there with my jaw open not knowing what to say and how to react as I did not want to embarrass myself in front of the guest relation officer. WHAT!!!!!????!!!!!!! RM1040 per night and room only?? Don't even have complimentary breakfast!!! If you want the buffet breakfast it is RM88 per pax!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After being told the price of the room, my expectation of the room was very high and I was really disappointed to see this.....






Yes, the room is nice but it is not worth RM1040 per night!! The size of the room is like any hotel room one third of its price and as you can see, our room has the rainforest view and that means we can only see trees and monkeys! =((( The most disappointing part of the room gotta be the toilet!! =(( not nice at all and Pyramid's Hotel toilet also look nicer lor!!! =(((((((((((((( ish!!





The thing I like most about the whole room gotta be this coffee machine!! hehe cause its kinda cool and even though I am not a coffee lover, I think the coffee was excellent!! But I was having tummy upset during the whole trip in Langkawi I wonder if it was due to the coffee being too strong for me or I probably just can't take their water (though I only drank the hotel mineral water) or maybe its some food that I ate??






I think, the best part of Langkawi besides the beach has gotta be their food!! YUMMY!!!!! You can find almost any kind of cuisine in Langkawi!! If you have heard of this book called the Malaysia Best Restaurant, a lot of restaurant in Langkawi are featured in that book. I do not know the credibility of that book but I liked all the restaurants that he brought me to!


This is the only place I know in Langkawi and I wanted to go try because I have heard and read about this Japanese Bakery called The Loaf, which is owned by our former Prime Minister Tun Mahathir himself!








A wide selection of sweet and savoury bread, croissants, pastries and buns. It was indeed very nice but a bit too over priced!!







After lunch, I actually wanted to go back to the hotel to fully utilised all their facilities and enjoy their beach *kiasu mar cause pay so much already* but he said no!! He said I promised to let him plan this trip and I have to follow his plan. There are 3 places that he absolutely must go and have a look. The first is the eagle statue at Kuah Town because that symbolises Langkawi.



The next one is Makam Mahsuri because he have read about it in Sejarah since young and being a History lover he definitely must go see it!! To me it is just a grave!!!!!! ISH!!!!! Some more so hot go and walk around to see people's grave!! Then he saw everyone taking water to wash their face from this well *which he has no idea what well is it* but he also go take the water to wash his face!! So Lebih lar.... hehe


The third place that he wanted to visit is the filming area of the Anna and The King when they were shooting in Langkawi. But he found out that they have actually destroyed the area already!



After that we are on our way back to our hotel which is a far far drive from Kuah Town!! Then we passed by this stall by the road side with a huge signboard saying "Laksa Power" so we decided to go try how Power is the Laksa and it turns out to be quite Power lor.... Very yummy!!! *slurp slurp*




Back to the hotel we changed and headed off to the beach. I must admit that their beach is really nice especially the sand! Very clean and very fine! I didn't really swim much as I did not want to ruin my eyelash extension and also my manicure and pedicure!! keke =P







Just took some vain shots by the beach and I decided to sun bathe, relax and enjoy a book... Am reading "If Life is a Game, These are the Rules" and also using my book thong!! kaka =P






After the sunset, we cleaned up and went for dinner at a Nam Restaurant in Bon Ton Resort. It is said to be one of the best restaurant in Langkawi! The food was indeed very good. Though the choices in the menu were a bit limited, but they included western and nyonya dishes. We were the only local in the restaurant! The rest of the tables are tourists and most of them are their regulars. They are actually famous for their nyonya dishes. I ordered grilled rack of lamb and it was really full of taste and very tender! The dollop of cream colour thingy you see as side dish it’s actually a very creamy and delicious mash potato!! Very very yummy!! He ordered a nyonya platter and everything on the plate was really good especially the rice!! We again had tiramisu for dessert and their tiramisu is kinda special where they included layers or meringue besides the usual sponge fingers and mascarpone cheese. They also have a scoop of home made raspberry ice cream instead of the normal raspberry sauce! An excellent dinner.







By the time we reached home after dinner, we were tired and I was looking forward to a soak in a hot bubble bath and a good night rest but when we opened the door to our room, we heard water running and found that one of the pipe in our bathroom has actually bursts and the whole bathroom is wet and flooded!! How can such thing happen when you pay RM1040 per night!! ISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So angry and disappointing lar!!!!!! They arrange for us to change to another room. To my dismay, the room that they brought us to wasn't tidied up and they have to change us to another room!! What kinda services are these????? Some more world class 5 star hotel!! ISH ISH ISH!!!! We were already planning to complain the next day when the manager comes in. I don't know if you consider this lucky or unlucky but the next day the Executive Manager called us and apologize and asked if everything is fine now. So I started complaining and all and he upgraded us to a sea view room!! =)))))) He even offered to send a bottle of champagne to our room but I told him that I want a complimentary buffet breakfast instead!! *more practical mar* So yippieeeeee we have got a sea view room.....


This is the view from our balcony!!! =)))))))))) Now I feel happier =P






The best part gotta be the toilet!! The Manager said that they have just renovated the toilet and this is more like it lar!!!!!!! This look more like a 5 star hotel lar!!!!!





If you just compared it with the pictures of the first room you will see the huge huge difference!! If I were to see this room when I first enter the room I will feel that the RM1040 is more worth it lor.... with the beautiful sea view and bathroom.... but I found out that this room is actually RM1600 per night!!! HUHHHHHHH =S Crazy lar!!!! At least now with a nicer room and two complimentary buffet breakfast I don't feel as heart pain.... kaka so, "Good luck, Bad luck, who knows!!" *This quote is something I learnt in the Making a Difference Training*



Anyway, we went to the front harbour again for lunch (The same area where The Loaf was) but this time to try the Spanish Restaurant called Chijmes that we saw the day before. We ordered some tapas and also paella. The tapas was good but the paella was a bit too salty!! But I love the ambiance cause of the harbour view and the bright sunny day with pretty colourful flowers.





After lunch we walked around the harbour and snap some photos and guess what I saw?? hehe



My princezz boat!! KAKA






Then off we go back to our hotel again. Actually I wasn't really feeling too well as I had tummy upset the whole trip *but yes I still can eat non-stop* so I went back to the hotel for a nap while he went snorkelling at the hotel's beach. *I didn't pretend to be sick so that I don't have to go snorkelling though I really don't like snorkelling!!* hehe. After a good rest, I joined him at the beach and we then went swimming at their beautiful swimming pool.







Beautiful beautiful sunset view from our room!!




Dinner was again an extravagant affair and a great choice of restaurant by Honeydrew!! We went for dinner at a Japanese Restaurant called Unkaizen. Also said to be one of the best restaurants in Langkawi! We had lobster sashimi and it was sooo soooo soooo good that you feel like you tasted haven *hehe* Don't know what word to use to describe it... But it was soooo fresh and so sweet and the meat bounces in your mouth when you chew on it =) Yummy Yummy Yummy!!





After you finished the lobster meat, they will grill the head for you to eat the remainings =)






The next day, we had our breakfast in the hotel =) Really wanted to try how is a RM88 buffet breakfast is like!! *Can eat Shangrila Buffet Dinner dy lar!!*



The view while eating breakfast... the hotel's beautiful swimming pool



However, was quite disappointed with the buffet lor. They have got lotsa bakeries, cereals, Nasi Lemak, English breakfast, pan cakes, waffles, fruits, fresh fruit juices and even a mini Japanese section with miso soup, soba and some Japanese rice. hehe Again the same saying, though the food is nice but it doesn't worth RM88 lor.... Its not extremely nice that you have to go back again for more or what lor..... hehe or maybe I am being bias lar... hehe =)









After breakfast, we decided to explore Tanjung Rhu and have a look at The Four Seasons Hotel for comparison with our Andaman. I feel Four Season is soooo much nicer lor!! *Hehe* Probably because its a new hotel and also the Balinese concept. I found out that their rooms actually starts from RM1400 per room per night!! However the Andaman Beach is much nicer as the sand is more fine and also, The Four Season beach you can actually see the cement factory and it's not a good sight!








On the way back to our hotel we passed by this beach called "Pantai Pasir Hitam" (Black Sand Beach) The sand is really black lor!! Don't know if it is natural or if its from all the pollution from the cement factory!! Haha =D



It was indeed a great holiday if I don't think about the money spent!! Thanks dear for this wonderful holiday and thanks dear for planning everything!! Thanks for the effort and the generosity and the kind intentions to make me happy!! =) Truly appreciate it but next time, let me do the planning lar.... more value for money lar!!!!! keke =P

p/s: I am addicted to Wii Tennis dy!! I can play non-stop =) I wanna be pro!!!! I am 700 points now and I need to reach 1000 points to be considered pro!! =) But but but I shouldn't be wasting my time on Wii =(

4 comments:

It's Me said...

wow...wow....nice surprises with a WOWwwwwwwwwww $$$$ spent oso...but nvm lar, ur honeydrew earn USD ma....don;t be so kiamsiap lar...

Anonymous said...

really felt happy for you for having such a fabulous and well-planned vacation from your HoneyDrew... ;)

next time, ask him to get a crash course from MTZ, maybe he can save more money! hehhehehee...

Princezz T said...

Amanda, yeah I lovey my suprises but heart pain also on the $$$ spent!! Out of my expectation!!

Anonymous?? Monica issit?? keke Yeah yeah already told him to save more money!! Everytime I tell him that his reply will be "Save money then cannot buy bags already" ish
=(

celinewong said...

yeah man...i agree de room doesn't worth rm1k at all!!!!!!!! but gosh.. he does spend a lot of you!! hehehehhe :P