Thursday 17 December 2009

Lyon, France

Went to Lyon last weekend and guess what? I missed the train for the first time in my life!!!!!!!
We reached the train station quite late and I've got about 7mins before the train departs and I still need to get my France Rail Pass validated. Was queuing for bout 3 minutes and finally it was my turn! I asked the guy at the counter which terminal my train will be departing and he said "Geee" which sounds like "G" to me and hence I was running to terminal G. My sis saw me running to G and she ran to G as well.... At that time we boarded the train to find that the train was actually empty..... So we knew that we were at the wrong terminal!!! There's another 2-3 minutes before the train departs and we don't know which station to go to!! Then my sis asked someone and he pointed us to terminal "D" but we weren't sure if it was the right terminal... We saw one lady in the train company uniform and we asked her..... she kept making an "X" with her arms indicating that we can't board the train anymore..... but I pointed the clock behind her and there's 1 minute before the train departs.... then she stop doing the stupid "X" sign and smile.... We asked if we can board the train and she smile again *ARGGGG STUPID WOMAN SMILE WHAT SMILE!!!!* Then I said don't care bout her la just board la.... and when I wanna open the train door the train started moving........ all of us stand there watched the train moves away.......
Sigh........ and this is the story of how I missed my train!!

So we went back to the ticket counter to see if we can board the next train.... my sis have to pay extra for her and my bro's ticket though..... and when the guy at the counter told her to go to terminal "G" we started scolding him (cause its the same guy who told me its G) You told us G but its at D, now you tell us G again!!!!! You made us miss the train!! But he insisted that he told me "D" instead of "G" but I swear I heard G!! But the next train is at "G" and not "D".....

Anyway...... let's talk bout Lyon (pronounced as "Le-on" and not "Loin"). Lyon is only 2 hours train ride from Paris. It is France second city (after Paris!) and is renown as the French capital of gastronomy as it also one of the city with the largest number of michelin star restaurant!! But of course we didn't go to any!! =(


With the Louis XIV statue




Lyon is situated between two hills and two rivers


Outside the Saint-Jean Cathedral


The Cathedral astronomical clock from the 14th century


View of the streets in Lyon


Lyon is also designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites for their traboules (narrow passage ways that pass through buildings and link the streets either side. The traboules were originally used as short cuts to transport products but during the World War II, it is used to run away and hide from the Nazis!








Inside one of the traboules.


Superrr cold =S


Being known for its gastronomy, we were quite excited cause according to my sis's french colleagues, all the restaurants in Lyon are nice! We googled for one that serves foie gras, escargots and frogs leg and decided on this restaurant!



However, to our disappointment, they serve none of the 3 food mentioned above!!


Appetizer - Smoked slamon which was quite nice


Duck Confit - a renown French dish


Tripe sausages - a specialty of Lyon (I like this dish the most!!)


Fish (erm... don't know what sauce!)


Foie Gras Quennelle - Quennelle (dumpling) is another specialty of Lyon


See its snowing......
haha no la... just the deco of the restaurant!

Anyway, found the food in that restaurant so-so only =( Or maybe its just not our taste!! haha


After lunch, we took the tram uphill to the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourviere






Outside the Fourviere - Amazing architecture!!








The Fourviere contains two churches. This is the upper one and its reaaaallllyyy majestic!! The lower one is much simpler. We actually didn't know there are two until we saw a mysterious lift and took it!












Really beautiful!!


This is the inside of the lower church


The view outside the church where you can see the lower part of Lyon


See the Saint-Jean Cathedral we were at earlier!


Me =D


This is Lyon's own Eiffel Tower! haha


Then it started to drizzle when we were on our way to the Roman-era Theatre on Fourviere Hill




The 2 pretty performers at the theatre =P
Please give them a round of applause!!






Finally a group photo!! =D


Because we were afraid that the rain will get heavier, we left after a few photos and took the tram downhill


Me withStatue of Louis XIV, at Bellecour again but this time with the Ferris wheel in the background.

Then we went shopping nearby while the rain continue to drizzle!! I bought a hat from H&M to cover my ears cause it was freaking cold!! =S


After that, we went to walk around the Christmas Market near the train station




Some potatoes with cheese and cream! My bro damn love it cause he loooooves anything creamy and cheesy. He is a die hard carbonara fan!!




This french loaf with generous melted cheese and parma ham is reaaaaaly good!!


YUMZ YUMZ!! I will definitely have this again!! =D


No photos of the christmas market cause it was too cold to take my gloves off to take my camera!! haha That's why only got food photo cause I have to take off my gloves to eat anyway!!

After that we took the train back to Paris..... A supposedly 2 hour train ride became 3.5 hours!! They did make some announcements in French but we don't know what is happening..... We even thought that we have board the wrong train!! Cause we should have arrived in 2 hours!! Luckily the lady at the seat next to mine can speak english and she explained that there has been an accident and the train have to detour!

OK! gotta go sleep now! Going to Brussels tomorrow =D
Mussels, Waffles and Belgium Chocolates here I come.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.