Monday 28 July 2008

Black Bottom Cupcakes

Was in the mood for baking since I haven't bake for quite some time! The last time was when Honeydrew was back and since I am gonna make homecoming cupcakes for my sis too so I better practice a bit first!! So I have decided to try a new recipe, something I've not baked before and its - Black Bottom Cupcakes!! Basically its chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese filling / topping.... Oh and do you know cream cheese is bloody expensive now!!! Last time bought in carrefour for like RM8 and now it’s like RM12!!! *crazy!!*


Anyway, I planned to bake the black bottom cupcakes and decorate it with ganache frosting that's why you can see the chocolates and thick cream.... however..... I think because I left the thick cream out for too long (while making the cupcakes) when I want to make the frosting, the cream had actually turned sour and smelled like yoghurt!!! Its only been out for like 2 hours and it has gone bad =(((((( so yeah... my cupcakes are not frosted =(((((( so it doesn't look as pretty!! Anyway good thing the cupcakes turned out alright!! My mimi quite liked it but I think its not moist or springy enough!! Anyway.... room for improvements......


Quite complicated and needs a lot of ingredients


For the filling
8 ounces cream cheese, regular or reduced fat, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces semisweet mini chocolate chips *I actually used dark chocolate as I find the semisweet chocolate chips still a bit too sweet*

For the cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil *I actually used melted butter as I think its weird to put vegetable oil and also I didn't know what vegetable oil to buy!! Is corn oil or sunflower oil vegetable oil??*
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract




For the filling, beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside.

For the cupcake, in a medium bowl sift together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.


In a separate bowl, mix together the water, oil *melted butter in my case*, vinegar, and vanilla.3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients, stirring until just smooth.


Stir any longer and you will over mix the batter and end up with less-than-tender cupcakes

Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Spoon a few tablespoons of the filling into the center of each cupcake, dividing the filling evenly. This will fill the cups almost completely, which is fine. I also added in some chocolate chips on the top and then decided to poke it all in that's why you can see the chocolate chips are not on top of the cake in the next photo.



Bake at 170deg for 25 minutes *Mine were done at about 17 minutes*, or until cupcakes feel springy when gently pressed.






Some of the cupcakes I decided not to poke the chocolate chips in and hence it looks nice on top of the cupcakes.... since I've got no frosting to decorate it.




Besides baking, I also cooked!! One of the weekend, I cooked spaghetti carbonara since my bro loooooves it sooooo much..... However, I used ham + bacon since bacon has got more fat!! Also added in oyster mushroom *which I lovey*

Verdict?? hehe my bro says its nicer than the ones my mimi made!!! MUAHAHAHAHA but he said the best spaghetti carbonara is in San Francisco Steakhouse and they put a raw egg on top when served!! According to him even spaghetti carbonara in Alexis, Delicious, El Cerdo fails when compared to the San Francisco one!!




First, fried the bacon + ham until its brown and crispy then put aside. Using back the same oil, add in chopped garlic and when it turned brown add in the oyster mushroom and fried until soft. Then add milk and the carbonara packet powder or fresh thick cream and bring to boil. When it’s at the consistency that you want, add in the cooked bacon + ham. Sprinkle in the herbs and pepper as desired. After you cooked the spaghetti, put a lot of cheddar cheese on top of the spaghetti before you pour the hot carbonara sauce on top! Stir and eat while its still hot!! YUMZZZZZ........


Yummyyyyy.....



p/s: but don't eat so much pasta cause its fattening!!!!!!! *keke*

No comments: