Monday 14 April 2008

I made Trifles!

My first time making trifles =) with Val being my sifu =)

These are the ingredients that we used! We made everything on our own instead of buying ready made butter cake or sponge cake, instant custard and whipped cream! Everything was made from scratch with looooooove =D





For the butter cake, you will need:


110g margarine (but i use butter instead as I prefer the butter taste as compared to margarine!)


100g sugar


2 eggs


150g all purpose flour (I use self raising flour instead - but it didn't rise also!!)


1/2 tsp baking powder (don't need if you are using self raising flour)


1/2 tsp salt



Instructions will be same as how you normally bake a cake - beat the margarine and sugar then add in eggs and finally the flour. For some reason my butter cake didn't rise!! If anyone have another good butter cake recipe please let me know! So you see my butter cake is sooooo thin!! *ish* look so kesian!! haha






Then for the custard you will need:


8 egg yolks


100g white sugar


6 drops vanilla essence


700ml heavy cream



Instructions will be to beat the egg yolks with sugar until it is pale yellow





This is bright yellow so you need to beat some more!







Now this is pale yellow! Sieve to ensure that it is smooth.








Then in another pot, heat the cream and then pour the cream to the sieved egg yolk and sugar.






Then heat the mixture in low fire until eggs are cooked and this is the yummy custard =)


As for the whipped cream, you will need



400ml heavy cream


35g sugar




Beat the cream with sugar until it is light and fluffy like this!








Now here comes the more exciting part!! Making the trifles!! Previously its only preparing for the trifle ingredients!! Making trifle is a bit like tiramisu where you need to layer the dessert!



First slice the cake in halves and put it at the base of a big bowl as shown below =) then pour in sherry (a type of wine that goes really well with all the cream and custards). It is also to moisten the cake.






Then spread a thin layer of strawberry jam on the cake. After that put a layer of sliced fresh strawberries on top. *Sorry forgotten to take pics as we were too engrossed* We also made trifles in small plastic cups because I wanted to give away some and its easier and prettier in a cup as compared to cutting from the bowl! Desserts are all about presentation also mar!! *hehe* So, for those made in a cup, I also added in a piece of chocolate in the middle! (Got the idea from Werner's Special Dessert in Elcerdo)






After that pour in custards on top











And the use the other halves of the butter cake to make a second layer. Repeat with sherry, strawberry jam, sliced fresh strawberries and then custard on top again.







Until you have as many layers as you want (usually 2 to 3 layers will be enough) then pour in a layer of fresh whipped cream!







Yummy yummy!! Then you can decorate the top with more strawberries or you can come out with more creative ideas!







Then refrigerate and let it set for a few hours! DONE!!


So how did it turned out?? hehe I must say the taste was excellent!! Not too sweet just enough (as I have also reduce the amount of sugar from the recommended amount). However..... the cake was a bit too hard and too dry and it didn't help that I didn't have enough custards! However, its still edible and yummy!! Will make a better one next time round since I know whats lacking now!! =) Practice makes perfect! =)


I'm really starting to love baking and making desserts!! BUT...... my waistline just couldn't allow me to do it as frequent as I want to!! =( I am getting fat =(










Then for lunch, we made our own chinese bibimbap instead of the korean one!! =D


First you need eggs that are 3 quarter cooked




Then add in soya sauce and sesame oil


Then add in rice, and luncheon meat


Since there was vege, I added in vege as well. Oh and egg white cooked in onions and chillies (egg white was left over from making the custards as we only use the yolks!) HAHA


And then mix everything together!! YUMMY!!!!!

It really taste nicer than it looks ok!! Considering I'm someone who doesn't like to eat rice, I finished the whole bowl!! Sighhhhhh no wonder I am getting fat =((((((((((((((((


While eating lunch, we started watching Desperate Housewives Season 4!! Gosh its becoming so addictive to just sit and watch TV!!!!!!!! I am becoming my Mimi !!!!!!!!!!!! =S

4 comments:

stranger said...

nah, commenting.

haha next time you make for me instead la k.

Anonymous said...

next time u must teach me how to do ar....

Anonymous said...

where's our portion..??? we are meeting up this friday, remember???

Princezz T said...

eh stranger u very lebih one lor... comment then comment lar wanna add nah, commenting!! ishh... ok u come back i make for you.. i'm gonna do more baking now... mimi agreed and promised she will eat everything... so she will be the fat fat one.... kaka

cindy, i tot my blog already teach how to make it?? hehe just follow the instructions.... and lemme try if u do make it!! kaka

monica, by the time friday its basi dy lar... haha it will be super dry and hard dy!! Thought of bringing it on tuesday one but u ffk so gave others dy... and i get good comments too... taste wise...